Monday, April 2, 2012

We're Not In Kansas Anymore

I arrived safely into country several days ago and have been getting situated and in-processed since then. Unfortunately had to part ways in Kyrgyzstan with my flying partner from training, but still rolling with another great crew of dudes. I was completely heartbroken to find that life wasn't all sunshine and rainbows over here, as my hopes that there would be unlimited free soft serve were quickly shattered. Fortunately, my time in Kyrgyzstan did give me one crack at their free soft serve, so I took advantage of my time there. As evidenced by the picture, it wasn't the highest quality soft serve, so its probably better that there's none here now.



However, as a small reprieve, I was pleased to discover that several days a week in the dining facility (DFAC), there are individually scooped frozen dairy delights, so all is not completely lost. I've heard its more than my compadres in the south have available, so I count my blessings. And while I'm on the topic, its worth noting that the food served thus far has been top notch under the circumstances. Quality fresh fruits and vegetables, a wide selection of entrees, and some coffee labeled "strong coffee" that gives motor oil a run for its money. Its quite the stuff.

Currently, the mustache is still exploring, trying to get a good solid foundation built for itself. Its really got some great potential, it just needs to get its legs underneath it to get some good, full development. I'm convinced that my ability to grow facial hair, although rivaling that of an adolescent, is but a minor speed bump on what will otherwise be a smooth road to seeing this mustache through to full bodied growth. Its kind of more in a "Diego Mustache" phase at the moment. But just like a caterpillar patiently transforms, so will my hard work. So fly away sweet butterfly, fly away...





And finally, speaking of good music, big shout out to Than Neese and Steven Duck for the top notch album recommendations. If you haven't heard it before, give the album "Every Kingdom" by Ben Howard a listen. A tip of the hat to Than Neese for that little gem. Also bringing it strong was Steezen Duck's less well known but none the less impressive recommendation of the album "Simple Man" by San Diego based The Calico Kids, a group of some Point Loma grads. With sounds reminiscent of The Clientele and Mumford and Sons, it was a welcome surprise. Music recommendations are still accepted and appreciated.


I don't really need anything, but if you didn't catch my address the first time around and wanted it, here it is again:

1Lt Brett Turner
455EOG/4ERS
BAF
APO, AE 09354

That's all for now.



Next installment: "This Old House"

2 comments:

  1. Air Force...typical...
    Stay safe and watch out for the paper cuts.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you crack me up. we miss ya!

    Benjamin Francis. ("Last Smoke Before the Snowstorm" album). Singer/songerwriter-esque.

    Jack Savoretti's "Soldier's Eyes". Just a plain good song.

    ReplyDelete